"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas Letter: Gëzuar Krishtlindjet


Dear Friends and Family,

Another year has come and gone and with it has come yet more changes. I’d like to start this letter by giving you a quote, that for some very strange reason I have chose to live by: “You’re 20’s are your selfish years. It is a decade to immerse yourself in every single thing possible. Be selfish with your time and all aspects of you. Tinker with shit, travel, explore, love a lot, love a little and never touch the ground.” –Kyoko Escamilla. I became extremely selfish in 2012.

I kicked off 2012 by almost dying in a car crash on the way to Lambeau field. At this point I was already considering teaching abroad at some point in my life, and the accident helped me realize that it was now or never. In February I started applying for jobs overseas and was offered a position at Memorial International School of Tirana, which I wholeheartedly accepted, in the end of March. In June, I finished up my year of student teaching, involving a lot of struggles and contemplations about the kind of teacher I want to be. I grew a lot, especially in the area of classroom management. I also finished up all but one Masters course, which I will be taking this spring. 

I spent my summer working for the Binsfeld family once again, and found myself falling more and more in love with their kids and their outlook on life. I miss them terribly. Summer highlights include seeing Pert Near Sandstone, Charlie Parr, The Polyphonic Spree, and Trampled by Turtles live. I also spent two weekends up on the Superior Hiking trail with my brother and his friends.
Finally, I got my second tattoo, which reads: “When I die I’ll rot. But when I live, I’ll give it all I’ve got.” I love it and it acts as a constant reminder that my time on this earth is limited, and that I need to live life as I want, constantly diligent to improve myself. I spent my last week in the States with my brother’s family in Wauwatosa. I tried to soak up as much time with my niece (Kaydence) and new nephew (Quincy) as possible.
I moved to Tirana in the last week in August. The experience has been one of unforgettable memories. I met several new awesome teacher friends and settled in to my first apartment that was my own. I hated it due to the terrible loud music, and moved in late November, to a much quieter and nicer place. I had my first true bout of culture shock, but have continued with the motto that what doesn’t kill me can only make me stronger. I was lucky to have such a wonderful support system both in Tirana, and back home.

Overall I find Tirana adequate for living, but am considering moving somewhere new next year. The plan overall is to apply to different jobs and see what happens, which is so not my style. My major complaints about the city are the pollution, making it hard to breathe, the random garbage thrown all over the street, (thank god America has regulations) and the terrible traffic and honking of horns. I also feel very weird having blond hair, because no one here does. The biggest goal is to find somewhere that allows me to pay off my student loans in the shortest amount of time.

I have taken several trips since arriving here, but none too far away. I traveled to Ohrid Macedonia, which was met with fresh air, incredible views, and vast amounts of vegetation. Saranda, Albania was also on my bucket list because rumor had it that the beaches there were as beautiful as those in Greece. Rumor was true. We spent our time on the deserted beaches (it is the off season), and one day hiking in Butrint National Park, which was filled with buildings from the B.C. period of history. I was lucky enough to be able to touch these buildings. It is insane how unprotected they are. On the way home we stopped at Syri I Kalter (The Blue Eye) which turned out to be one of the coolest natural things I have ever seen. Fresh water springs from the ground, and creates a blue center with perfectly clear water surrounding it. The last weekend in November, Albania celebrated 100 years of independence. I took my days off to travel to Fier to see the ruins of the Greek city of Apollonia, and the historic stone city of Gjirokaster. Everything I’ve seen here has been gorgeous, and I feel so thankful I have been given this opportunity.
                                                                                                                
This Christmas I am planning to meet my brother in Spain for a few nights. From there we will fly to Brussels, take the train to Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich, and Switzerland. I’m very excited to see all of these places, to drink some decent beer, and most of all to spend time with a small part of my family. I didn’t realize how much I would miss them. I wish you and yours a happy holiday season and the best wishes for the New Year!

I’ll leave you with one last quote to think about as you enter a time of making resolutions for the New Year:

“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You’re doing things you’ve never done before, and more importantly, you’re Doing Something. Don’t freeze, don’t stop, don’t worry that it isn’t good enough, or it isn’t perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work, or family, or life. Whatever it is you’re scared of doing, Do It. Make your mistakes, next year and forever.” –Neil Gaiman

2 comments:

  1. Even though we are going through so many of the same things here in Albania I still always love reading your blog just to hear your perspective on it. Also, you almost died in a car crash this year? What??

    BTW- I'm working on a mistletoe fishing line system. It's going to be epic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my car was almost hit by a truck on an icy highway. Me and my brother were in the car, fish tailing out of control. if there wouldn't have been a gaurd rail we would have flipped and rolled off the side of the road. Or the truck may have hit us. my car was in pretty bad shape as it was, but the rear end of it got hit, and we were both in front. Thankfully.

    Oh mistletoe....

    ReplyDelete