"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The trip of a lifetime

So I’m gearing up for my Western European trip with my brother. I’m so insanely excited and also really nervous. The traveling I’ve done has been fairly easy because we’ve been renting cars and finding hostels to stay at. We can travel on our own accords. However, during this trip we travel by plane, train, and foot, and will be staying with couch surfers along the way. I’m pretty excited to surf, after hosting a few surfers myself. However, the winter weather is making me a bit nervous about our plans, and making it far more difficult to fit everything I need into a hiking pack.


I’m trying to go into the trip with my friend Cortney’s mindset about traveling: Have no expectations. If I have no expectations then I can’t be disappointed. However I think I was doing a bit too good at this. So good, that I was actually starting to get extremely stressed about it, and for a bit, not even wanting to go at all.

What caused me to get to this point? Mostly thinking about returning to Albania. My time here has gone so quickly already and I can’t believe that when I get back I’ll only have 6 months left. And chances are that is going to go even faster with starting school again, and searching for jobs. Here’s the thing: I just got over my culture shock, and quit being so desperate for a piece of home, 3 weeks ago. I’m worried that when I get back to Tirana I’m going to have to go through all that stress and craziness again. And what makes it even scarier is that this time I have no idea when the next time I’ll see any part of my family will be. Sure it could be in 6 months, but it could also be in 2 years.

So to try and make myself okay with this I went on my Pinterest sight and looked at all the items on my bucketlist. This made me more depressed. I have no money to travel this world! So I got to my really desperate point, and got out the American phone. I have no charger and it only has half a battery left, so I don’t turn it on often. Only when I’m really doubting myself and my decision. Then I re-read the last texts I got from my brothers. Both of them are so encouraging to me. And quite honestly if it wasn’t for their support I wouldn’t be where I am. And then I got excited. I get to have a real face-to-face conversation with my brother and best friend. I get to talk to him about all our worries, all our dreams, and all the adventures we have had while we’ve been apart. And we get to have one together.  :)
Christmas in 2010

New Years party 2011: gangster style
New Years eve 2012: let's skip the gingerbread latte this year please.
I’ll blog about it all when I get back, but I’m sure it is going to take a while to get caught up. Here is the itinerary as of right now.

December 24th: Daryn will be arriving in Madrid on the morning of the 24th and will go an meet our couchsurfing host as she has Christmas Eve plans. I will arrive in the afternoon (if all goes well in Turkey) and will meet him. I’m kind of hoping we can find a late night church service, but am also expecting Daryn to be exhausted from his journey. Wine and sleep will be just find with me.

December 25th-26th: Explore Madrid. Eat Tapas, drink beer and wine, possibly meet up with some other couch surfers.

December 27th: Get on plane to Brussels in the very early am. Spend a few hours explore Brussels and take a train to Gent. Spend the Evening in Gent.

December 28th: Hope on train to Amsterdam. Spend the day exploring Amsterdam.

December 29th: Take train to Berlin. Explore Berlin

December 30th: Explore Berlin, take evening train to Munich

December 31st: hang out in Munich

January 1st-4th- Hang out in Switzerland with Daryn’s friend from High School. Daryn and I will take trains to Amsterdam(him) and Milan (me) on the afternoon of the 4th, and we both fly home on the 5th.

It’s going to be packed and crazy, and I have a feeling nothing will go as planned, but the more I think about it the more excited I get!

4 comments:

  1. Just plan on feeling kind of dirty for the trip, then you won't feel the need to pack as much! Also, I love how we each have like 3 drinks in front of us in last years picture! The I remembered we wanted to go home and get some sleep, cause we needed to get up early and almost die on our way to the Packer game...so, I guess it makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's hard to get excited for our trips right now because at the moment it feels like another item to check off of a to-do list: pack for trip, get ready for trip, organize documents for trip, on top of everything else. It's kind of gotten lumped into a work kind of thing. I have a feeling that Thursday afternoon, after our performance (lol, "our" performance) when we're sitting at Piazza, chilling out, eating delicious food, and knowing that Friday all we have to do is snuggle kids, watch movies, and eat cookies, things will get a LOT better.

    I am so excited for all the fun we're all going to have over break. As long as neither of us slips off the side of a mountain, we'll be juuuuuuuust fine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah...and as long as they let us all back into the country and I don't have to have 25 grade one students. haha.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also Daryn, I was talking to my friends the other night talking about who we kissed last new years, and I remember stating as I passed out at like 9pm that I was going to be kissing Aaron Rodgers in my dreams. Hahaha. What a great/shitty new years. Also, goddamn that Stormy Weather IPA was delicious. Probably actually my favorite beer ever. Hopefully soon to be beat out.

    ReplyDelete