"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Friday, January 11, 2013

Debriefing

Usually after a life-changing trip they make you do debriefing. After sleeping minimally for a week, drinking way more than I should be, and listening to the same song on repeat since I got home it is time I debrief myself.
Days of Trip: 13
Countries visited: 6
Pictures taken: 220
Train rides: 11
Flights: 5
Things I learned:
1. I love my brother. (I already knew this.)
2. I don't like cities. I prefer trees, grass, and mountains.
3. There are many kind people left in this world. There is hope for the human race
4. There is a bigger difference between western europe and Tirana than I thought.
5. Tirana is similar to western europe in ways I never noticed.
6. When lost in Europe go the opposite way you think you should go.
7. I can never go back to the way things were. My life will never be the same, my relationships will never be the same, and I will never be the same.
8. I love wine almost as much as I love beer.
9. It is important to plan rest time into vacations.
10. I hate flying.
11. I love travelling by train.
12. Never underestimate the power of a good cup of coffee.
13. I don't enjoy travelling solo.
14. My dreams continue to grow. I'll never catch up.
15. I will always miss home.
16. I need to choose a language and learn it.
17. The desire to travel and the desire to settle my life in one place is almost equivalent.
18. When I decided I wanted to be a teacher I did it so I could have vacations off with my children. Maybe deep down I knew I wanted to be a teacher so I could have my vacations off for me.
19. I'm no closer to figuring out who I am than when I left home.
20. If the song is right, you can listen to it 32 times in one day and still not be sick of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment