"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Impossible Soul

It has been so long since I've written. Mostly because I haven't been doing much other than work, grad school, and normal life. No time for travelling, although we are starting to plan our epic spring break road trip through Montenegro, Bosnia, and Croatia. No worries, I'll keep you posted. I've been trying to work on a post titled "my typical day" but it would seem to me that no day in my life is even slightly the same. And for that, I'm grateful.

I had a great day at work today and when I got home I happend to listen to a fantastic song by Sufjan Stevens. I love this musician so much. For some reason I haven't been able to listen to my own music much since getting here. Mostly because I think it makes me too homesick. Music was a big part of who I was, and here I just can't find anything even close to the worst of the live music in Minneapolis. I'm finally starting to get to the point where I can listen to it again. Anyway I was so intrigued with this song, and I thought I'd share the lyrics as I feel they pertain to my life in a significant way. So much so, that I'm wishing I had got some of these lyrics tattooed on my body rather than lyrics from one of his other songs. (Just kidding. Those lyrics mean a lot too.) I was going to post all the lyrics (because they are all amazing) but decided to post my favorite because the song is 15 minutes long, and that is a lot of lyrics.


Do you want to be afraid?
For life in the cage where courage's mate runs deep in the wake
For the scariest things are not half as enslaved

For life isn't stained of righteousness pain
The seed and the hail, all impossible flights for an interesting light

For love is the breath
If water and wave is cursed by the same thing that nurtured its shame
Is it worth all the work?

Instead of the life, lived tired and lost, have you left it at last
Where it floundered its death with the language of ghosts


Working on the not being afraid, and thankfully I think I've escaped the cage. I also feel that I've left behind my life that was tired and lost. Basically, you should know that although I haven't written in awhile life is going good, the job search is moving forward(I've decided not to stay in Albania),  and this truth still remains: I have some kick ass friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment