"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Saturday, August 18, 2012

5 Days Out

The last 2 weeks have felt chaotic and nomadic. I just can't seem to get everything in my brain strait, and I've been moving my things and self around more than I'd like to. I spent my last week in Minneapolis eating my favorite food and drink my favorite thing (beer.) On the Saturday before my departure we attending 2 brewery tours and didn't eat lunch until about 3:30 in the afternoon. We spent Sunday watching Packer games, and Monday at the 331 club listening to bluegrass music. I'd like to thank everyone who came along for the ride. I'm glad we all managed to survive.

On Tuesday morning my parents arrived to pack me up in their car. We stopped to have lunch with my brother on campus and what came was the first teary-eyed goodbye. Aside from getting myself on the plane and through customs I knew this would be the hardest part for me. It's a good thing that in about 4 months he'll be meeting me in Spain! Tuesday night I had a freakout about everything I needed to do, so I sat down and wrote myself a schedule. I spent the following Wednesday running in an out of appointments and re-packing my bags to meet the airport requirements. I also went shopping with my mom for my new camera! Thanks for the graduation present mom! Thursday was spent with Grandparents and saying goodbye to them (also hard.) After spending all day in the house I decided to head to the brew pub for some beers, and ended up running into a friend. 

Friday morning led to another freakout as I realized the lock off my big suitcase was missing. It is truly amazing how the little things can cause you to feel overwhelmed to the point of sobbing. I texted my friend who informed me to quit sweating the small stuff. I stopped at Target and bought a new lock. It really wasn't a big deal, but it's just little pressure that continues to add up. 

I'm now in Milwaukee spending time with my brother and his family before I head out on Thursday(5 days from now i'll be on my way to Chicago.) 

Overall I feel totally unprepared. I sit and read through my welcome packet again, and realized that I practically have the thing memorized. My aunt informed me that I can look at maps of the airports when I'm on the plane, so that shouldn't be of concern either. Bags are all packed and under the weight limit. So what am I forgetting? Just get me there already!

No comments:

Post a Comment