"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Friday, August 31, 2012

First Week


Sorry I haven’t blogged in awhile I haven’t had internet (except for the very slow internet café below me that can’t even keep up with my typing.) I moved into my very own apartment on Monday, and spent the following few days setting it up, and spending time with the other foreign teachers. We went to the mall (Teg) to get household items. They offer a free shuttle(about a 20 minute ride) from the center (about a 30 minute walk.) The first time I went I bought fairly minimal items, knowing that I didn’t have much cash on me, and knowing that I had to carry it all back. The second trip I took my backpack, filled it, part of another bag and carried a fan back. Putting the fan together was quite the experience because all the directions were in Albanian, and I still had no internet to help me translate. I think I set it up okay :S  Also I should mention that the Carrfur (Super Target) at the mall has bottles of Jameson! Which made me one happy girl!

Adam (a returning teacher) took me and Scott out the other night and took us to a place that makes their own beer. They only make three kinds, but one taste similar to a red ale, and it was probably the best beer here. I’m happy to find that all the things the internet said about beer and alcohol not being imported is not true. They have several beers from Germany and Belgium at the store, though not found as often in the bars. I notice that very few of the women are seen out late drinking at night, which makes me a bit said, but Adam said this is slowly changing and ultimately depends on what part of the country you are in.

I’m already itching to get out of the city, and also to start work. We were planning on taking a trip to the top of Mount Dajti this weekend, but there are several forest fires right now, so we may opt to go to Durres on Saturday. I’m excited to say that the other teachers are all also eager to explore the surrounding countries and countryside. The other female teacher (Courtney) and her boyfriend (Bobby) brought their hiking packs, a tent, and their sleeping bags. I may end up investing in a cheap sleeping bag and tent so I can go on some camping adventures with them. Courtney has done a ton of research on the best places to do so. I guess there is a kayaking/beach camping 5 day trip that she wants to do. Me too!

I’ve been going to the school everyday for free lunch (since it is so good) and have been talking to the director and other workers at the school at random. I’ve also been introduced to several mothers and children from grade one, though I’m not sure they will all be in my class yet. The director (Mr. Ismail) is super kind and inviting. He is also understanding that the schools resources are lacking and wants to improve this immensely in the coming year.

Today (Friday) we had our first really official day of work, including meetings about the teaching plans we need to fill out, getting into our classrooms, and receiving our teaching books. I also need to work on setting up my classroom, with no resources. AH! I just made myself a huge list of posters to make and supplies I need. 

I’ll post a blog about my apartment (with pictures) soon. I'm waiting to get internet in it. I’m also still working on setting it all up, but am finding that as I do so I feel more and more at home. Now if I could just start sleeping at night....

No comments:

Post a Comment