"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy Turkey Day America!

When I was in high school, our church would take an annual trip to Chicago in the month of November to help out at a place called JPUSA. Mostly it was full of Christian hippies who lived in a communal environment and would volunteer their time to help those in need in return for their home. One year while we were there I took on the task of writing a list of 100 things I was thankful for. It was insane, but very doable. I was thankful for things like friends, my tv, my computer, sweaters, my favorite mocha from Starbucks. Ever since that year I try to write myself a list, either in my head, or on paper/the computer. I recently re-read my list of things I was thankful for last year. It is insane that I’m now living without many of them, and still maintaining a sense of sanity. Here is the list of the 10 things I was most grateful for last year.


1. Love. It stupid and wonderful. It definitely makes us do dumb things, but it's breathtaking and incredible in every single way. It floods you with joy and with sadness, and causes you to feel things you never thought possible. It's just plain amazing,
2. My ability to choose where I go in life. I can go anywhere I want. Arizona, Texas, China, Thailand, North Dakota, or I can stay here. And I'm grateful for the many options.
3. My education. After this year of working in a room with many under privileged children I have become grateful not only to  attend such stellar schools, but also to grow up in a house hold where education is so valued.
4. The Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers. Seriously. They make my life bearable and they are awesome. Go Pack Go!
5.  My iPod. Where would I be without this? Definitely way more depressed.
6. My two feet. Running has become a true outlet for my frustration, stress, and happiness, all in one. I'm glad I can use these two feet for something so wonderful
7.  My family, mostly for being so supportive of my decisions. I've made some pretty bad ones, and someone has always been there to help me through them.
8. My soul mate, Rebecca Nelson, for always encouraging me to dream big, and eating ice cream or whiskey with me when my dreams fall apart.
9. Second, and maybe even third chances. I'm thankful that I can try to be forgiving of others, and that others can be forgiving of me.
10. Coffee, for keeping me awake and Jameson, for helping me sleep. This year would be impossible without you. I know this one seems shallow, but I have to be honest...these two things are necessary in my life.

Please compare to the top ten things I am grateful for today
  1. My freedom to go wherever I choose. Here in Albanian the boarders were just recently opened up. People were not always allowed to go wherever they want. This is a great freedom. The majority of the jobs I have been looking are only able to get living permits to Americans, Canadians, Australians, and people from the UK. I’m so lucky to be on that list.
  2. My language. People speak English almost everywhere I go. I’m so thankful, and I wish I had enough energy to get off my lazy but and learn another language. Also people speak English here very well but say they know only a little. When I say I know a little Albanian, I mean I can order in a restaurant, say hello, how are you and goodbye. It is insane how little I have learned in the last 3 months.
  3. My family for supporting me in everything I do. I would not be here if it wasn’t for you guys cheering me on, and listening to my complaining and homesickness. I never knew I could miss people as much as I miss you all. I came with the full intention of not coming home for 2 years, and now I can’t even see how that would be a possibility.
  4. My freedom as an American woman. Albania is living a bit in the past. Here, women are still expected to do the laundry, cooking, cleaning, and to not complain about it. Their main purpose in life is to please their man. Also, in the countryside there are often still arranged marriages, and girls get married as young as 15/16. I’m so thankful I was able to experience 3 whole relationships, and decide that none of them were right for me. Tacked on to this is being single, at least for now. I have learned so much about myself in a year of being single, and I’m excited to learn even more.
  5. Love, because I know it exists in many ways, and surrounds me everywhere.
  6. My education: Last year I worked with a bunch of underprivileged children, and I saw how lucky I was to grow up in my wealth. This year I work with very privileged children and I’m thankful for my roots of working hard and knowing how much my complete education was worth.
  7. The fact that, on a whim, I chose teaching as my degree, and that most days I love it.
  8. My friends, both here and back in America. Between both I feel very lucky. None of you are completely crazy, but all of you are crazy enough for me to tolerate. Thanks for that J
  9. Music. I just don’t know what I’d do without it.
  10. My two feet, for carrying me to beautiful views of the world.

There are definite similarities and differences. But overall I would say that I think about these things more often now than I did in America and that is pretty cool. Happy Turkey Day America! I think of you as we celebrate 100 years of Independence in Albania. I will also be heading to the Christian center for (hopefully) a thanksgiving meal with my friends. If now, we will have a delicious dinner at Piazza, one of our favorite restaurants.

Also, as I sit here writing this I’m doing laundry at my friend’s house yet again, this time because the water in my new place isn’t working. So please be thankful that almost everyday you can wake up and have working water. This is only my 3rd day without, but that is out of 90 days. One more thing, I miss the cold. Today I wore a skirt and t-shirt to work. Oh, and another thing I miss my night of pie making and drinking with my brother. Seriously!
making pies with my big bro!  Still planning on making my pumpkin cheesecake next week. 

Um this all looks delicious! Remember when we somehow ended up with like 7 pies and gave some to Matt Jacobson? And don't even get me started on those cookies.

Remember this awesome contraption we made to carry them?

1 comment:

  1. Those cookies...those entertained me all day!!! Matt Jacobson...what an asshole! I love eating whiskey! You forgot #11. Skype - so i can see my family and friends and watch Packer games in a foreign country!

    ReplyDelete