"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My New Apartment :)

After about 2 weeks in my first apartment here I knew I hated it and would want to move. Finally the three months I paid for was coming to a close. So I started asking around and the grade 2 teaching assistant, and good friend Silvia volunteered to help me look for a new place.


So on Tuesday I looked at a really terrible apartment. Like horribly dirty, smelly and filled with broken furniture. I was scared to be in it, and I was with 2 other people, so I figured I couldn’t possibly live there. On Thursday we looked at a great 2 bedroom place for 300 Euro a month. This was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but I figured I might be able to have a roommate for part of the time, and that I could afford it since the cost of living is so low here. Then I looked a wonderful 1+1, perfect just for me. It was filled with antique furniture, cozy, quiet and came complete with a cute old man landlord. Unfortunately the man did not want to rent to me since I told him I would only be paying rent through July, and not for a full year. I was a bit devastated, but headed to my second job confident that something would work out and knowing that the 2 bedroom place was also an option.

The next morning I debated in my head how I could change my odds by offering the man more money for the 7 months I lived there, or lying to him and saying someone would replace me after I left. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn’t see myself making it work out.

I had quite the morning of trying to get my residency application in. After walking to the migration police to fill out the form, I then had to go to the bank to pay the fee, then to the notary to get my lease fixed with a building number, and then back to the migration police to turn the form in. However, the notary wouldn’t fix the document without the person I was living with present (I had to do a bit of fibbing in order to be able to move out of my terrible place and still get all my permits turned in, in time.) So needless to say I haven’t finished applying for my permit yet.

I arrived back at school for lunch and a bit of prep time to catch up (I missed my prep and one of my teaching hours running around the city.) On my way to pick up the kids I saw a strange man who look quite like the landlord of the “perfect for me” apartment. I was definitely so exhausted from my walking that I was imagining things. But no, wait, the man was approaching me and soon afterward my teaching assistant was translating for me. After being scolded by his wife, he was offering me the apartment for the next 7 months. She reminded him that his kids lived in America and he wanted them to come home, so it was understandable that after 7 months I would want to go back home to my family. I set up a time to meet him and get the keys, but was still a bit skeptical.

At 4:15 I headed out to try and find the apartment again, which I did with little difficulty. The man and his wife were kindly waiting to welcome me into my new home. They showed me around and talked in broken English, explaining that lived in the US for 7 years, but that was a long time ago, and they have since forgotten most of the English they learned. They seemed very interested in meeting monthly for coffee to talk and practice English. They also constantly reminded me that there were a few broken things (a light was out, the bedroom needed new curtains, and the toilet need a new back cover) and also mentioned that they would clean the place thoroughly before my official move in day on Monday. However they were very willing to let me bring loads of my stuff during this time. This was great since I already had brought a load. I wasn’t going to waste a 25 minute walk to take nothing there.

We set up a time the following day to exchange money and sign the lease. Once they left I began assigning drawers for various items, and made note of the few things I would need. Essentials like silverware, a blanket/quilt, something to hang my clothes to dry on, a spatula, and then headed home.

I was a little devastated when I got home and found out that my German friend officially got the go ahead on moving to a new place. I hate living alone, so it would have been nice to have someone to live with, but I also loved my new place.

The following day we were unable to sign the lease, because the notary place was closed, however we did stop and get a coffee. Between my minimal memory of Italian, the little bit of Albanian I know/speak, and the little bit of English the man knows/speaks we were able to get through a coffee. We planned on setting up a time to sign the lease on Monday. At this point the only thing I was nervous about was getting an internet connection in the place, but would it really be the worst thing to be without internet for 6 months? Probably. When I get homesick I need my skype and email at hand. But I suppose I could make due with borrowing the fellow teachers and spending a bit of extra time at the school to download movies and tv shows.

On Sunday we went to Teg (the mall) to get some stuff we needed. We all purchased fancy winter jackets, searched for boots, got some things for our classroom, and I was able to get my bedding and kitchen stuff. Overall I spent about $100 for all of the stuff for my apartment and about $100 on my super nice looking winter jacket.

On Saturday I finished moving my stuff in with the help of Scott for one load. In total it took 2 big suitcases, one little suitcase, a load in my hiking pack, 2 backpack’s full, and the fan being carried on it’s own. Also one load in the hiking pack from the Mall.

On Monday I went to sign my lease. I was lucky to have Silvia volunteer last minute to go with me. It was great to have her there to translate and make sure that I was paying the right amount, and not signing my life away. It took much longer than expected because the notary was about 30 minutes late (typical in Albania.) Eventually we got it all sorted out and I headed home completely tired. I arrived home at 6:30 and decided to go check and see if the internet company was still open, so that I could hopefully get internet within the week. Last time I moved it took a good 2 weeks to get it all sorted out, so I hoped that it wouldn’t take quite as long this time, since I was planning a vacation a few days later. Luckily they were still open.

The following day, they of course, called while I was at school, even though I was very clear that I needed them to come after 4. I told the man on the phone to come in the evening. I arrived home at 4, finished unpacking and just about the time I was all done, the men came to set it up. I can’t believe that so much has worked out in the right way at the right time. I’m currently sitting in my new home with working internet, listening to the drone of traffic and occasional honking. It feels like I’m back on Como (other than the honking.) Now if only a train would whistle on through, and I could drink a stout and eat some cheddar cheese. Korca dark, pasta, and salad will have to do. Unfortunately the water isn’t working tonight, so no laundry and no shower. This is one of two complaints so far. The other is that there are no lights in the hallway. Luckily all phones in Albania come complete with flashlights attached. So far I have to say I’m quite happy with my new place. And now the much awaited pictures:
Bed

My bedroom


Entry way

Living room, balcony is behind me. Dang, I need some porcelorses


sink, stove. Sadly, I can't do my dishes without running water.

Kitchen/dining room

Bathroom, without running water :(

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your apartment-hunting experience, Tiara! Haha! Anyway, looking for a new place to live is really a daunting task. It would take some portion of your time and effort in searching. Luckily, there are classified ads that would help you to find one.

    Lakia Shaffer

    ReplyDelete