"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Sunday, November 25, 2012

The debates in my head

I've had a rough month, to say the least. But after finally moving to a new place and getting running water I'm starting to feel better about the next 7 months of my life. I'm scraping by and finally getting a bit used to the lifestyle. My bit of culture shock is done for now. So now that I'm comfortable I think it is time to dive into the uncomfortable. The following things are up to debate in my mind.

1. Where should I go next? I feel completely clueless. The only thing I really know is that I want to make more money than I am here. But as I've been doing research and talking to people I've come up with a list of where I want to teach. The top 4 are as follows: Saudi Arabia (because of the pay,) Thailand (um, I've always wanted to go), Vietnam(from the research they pay quite a bit, and you can easily save), Columbia (I heard this is one of the best places to teach.) I also applied for a job in Japan. I feel it is early to be applying, but you know how I'm a planner.

2. Should I go back to school next semester? I could finish my master's degree with one class. And I'd love to do it, but I'm not sure I want to. The stress of doing this in another culture is scary, but tempting. I'm trying to do more research and I'm currently talking to the professor about the class requirements and whatnot. Pros: I can apply for more jobs, and would probably be given higher salary wherever I do go. Cons: time contraints, taking the class with limited resources, having to pay for more school when I JUST started paying loans.

3. When I get done with this journey of being a travelling teacher, where the hell do I want to go? But wait Tiara, the journey will not end when you go home. This is just a portion of this crazy journey of life. I beg myself to stop worrying so much. I beg myself to quit thinking about my future and just live my life. How did I become this crazy control freak as far as my life goes? Why can't I just let go? It will be a battle forever, but I can keep trying.
For everything you have missed, you have gained something else; And for everything you gain, you lose something else.

It is about your outlook towards life. You can either regret or rejoice. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment