"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

10 ways you can tell I'm a foreigner in Albania

1. My blonde hair: Almost no one has blonde hair. At least not girls. And if they do you can tell it is fake. Therefore both men and women stare at me in lust.
2. My feet: I dress super nice for work, but I wear flats and flip flops. All the girls here wear heals. All the time. Especially when they are dressed nice.
3. My pace: I walk way to fast, and past people. I think they think I'm rude, but I have a lot to do and a lot of place to see. Get outta my way! (this may have to do with #2)
4. My drinking habits: I drink. not very many females here drink. At least not at the bar/cafes. I've heard they do, but probably at the clubs.
5. Touristy things I do: asking people to write things down and point.
6. My nose: Alright, I've yet to see another person with a nose ring. And my students all seem to think it is dirt or something. They try to flick it off when I'm at their height. "Miss Tiara, there is something on your nose..." (heard this about 5 times today alone.)
7. My horrible accent: I speak about 10 Albanian words, and I'm sure they all sound horrible. Also, I noticed a MN accent the other day. "Oh yaaaah..."
8. bags: I always try to take minimal bag or reuse bags. I think if Albanians could put each item in a separate bag they would.
9. My belly: Albanian women are among the most beautiful I've ever seen. Super skinny, super tall (#2)  and long gorgeous dark hair. and I have a belly.
10. My to-go mug: Once again, I haven't seen anyone else with one. I carry it with coffee to work everyday and it is wonderful.

1 comment: