"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Hate and Love


I love parts of this city and I hate parts of it.

Hates
  1. Not knowing the language.
  2. The fact that you can’t drink the water.
  3. I have no idea how to cook for myself. I now know why most college students live off of pasta and peanut butter. That is what I’m doing.
  4. No one runs
  5. Living on my own
  6. The pop music that plays late into the night on my Plaza.
  7. The honking and almost being hit by cars
  8. The guys whistling at me.
  9. The garbage that is everywhere.
  10. The fact that it is a city.

For every hate there is something I love.
  1. Most people are understanding and will communicate with you using the little English they know or hand gestures.
  2. Bottled water is very inexpensive and the cute old guy I buy it from downstairs is very cute. My goal is to be able to have a conversation with him at some point.
  3. Food is very inexpensive. We went out to a super nice “expensive” restaurant yesterday and I ate and had an imported “expensive” beer for about $13. Just wait until I’m able to order at the cheap restaurants.
  4. Everyone still walks a lot, and this is how I get my exercise. I will just have to find more creative ways to work out. (like dancing around in my apartment in my underwear….which I did.)
  5. Living on my own. This is both scary, lonely, and exciting. I just wish I at least lived closer to the other teachers.
  6. The plaza by day is fantastic! Kids playing soccer, and lots of people drinking coffee. Wish I could understand what they were saying. It’s great for people watching. The balconies are awesome.
  7. Oh my! People honk here for no good reason. Just because they feel like it. And crosswalks are just an excuse for them to try and hit you. I guess there isn’t anything I love about the city for this one.
  8. The confidence that comes from guys whistling at you every day. Though I know it is just because of the blonde hair.
  9. Alright. No love for this one either. It’s gross, and this is  what would lead people to believe that it isn’t a developed country.
  10. The countryside is so very close. And I intend to leave the city as much as I can.


I’m also currently sick with what we call Tirana Tummy. My stomach just feels like it is constantly moving, and I have to run to the bathroom every 30 minutes or so. It also come with aches, chills, and a slight fever. Seriously sweatshirt and sweatpants and it's in the mid 80's. Needless to say I will not be eating anything tonight, in hopes that I can hit the ground running on classroom set up and finishing my plans tomorrow. Heading to bed early. 

No comments:

Post a Comment