"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Thursday, September 20, 2012

My First Really Rough Day


Not sure why today was so rough. I started out with the usual calendar, greeting, letter of the alphabet, and went into a lesson on patience. They did really good with patience during break and lunch time. On the way back into the building I noticed multiple students pushing in the line, so we spent our first 5 minutes of math practicing and I told them we would not have time to play our favorite class game (pop!) because we wasted time not walking right the first time. Math class went good, but when I didn’t immediately allow for playtime after 2 problems the kids freaked on me. I had too many going to the bathroom (to escape) and many not willing to sit at the carpet. They complain anytime I try to teach them anything real. I know kids need breaks, but every 15 minutes? For real?

So we had a nice (I was very angry, but holding it in) talk about what 1st grade is. Basically I told them that 1st grade wasn’t about playing it was about learning, and that they would have to work really hard to be good in second grade. We reviewed our rules, and I ended the day by saying that I knew the following day would be much better, and that we would get all our work done so that we could have play-dough time at the end. My god, do these kids love play-dough!

I also finally started feeling a bit homesick at the end of the day. So I went in my classroom, blasted the bluegrass, and prepared for Friday/attempted to organize. I also immediately made plans with the other teachers to get myself out of the house tonight. I’ve been in too much of a routine: School, Home, cleaning, working, dinner, movie, bed. Its too normal, and I need something else.

On a plus note I have the cutest students. Here is a serious and funny picture of my students.



No comments:

Post a Comment