"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Friday, October 5, 2012

Pay Day :)

It has been quite awhile since my last blog post, so I figured it is time to write an update.

Today was payday! It felt great to hold more than the equivalent of $10 in my hand, however, because I took out an advance to pay for rent when I got here, I'm still going to have to be a bit careful about my spending. Ska probleme (no worries) I'll be back on my feet in a month or two and ready to pay those school loans.
Me and Scott enjoying some beers in Korca (aka a photo area at the film festival)
I have had a fantastic/inexpensive weekend in Tirana last weekend. I went to the film festival both Friday and Saturday night and saw a ton of awesome Human Rights films.  On Saturday night they had a celebration dinner, which involved a ton of free food and free drinks. Overall transportation, beer, movies, and snacks for both nights at the film festival cost me about $11. Pretty sweet deal. I also went to the Stephen center (Christian missionary restaurant) and had some chimicangas. Mexican is pretty hard to find here, so I was one happy camper. We plan on making the Stephen center a weekly ritual. They have American breakfasts, burgers, mexican food, and shakes/smoothies, so it is a win all around.
Free food and beverages at the film festival. Also, concert with saxophone player on the stage!
My week of teaching was pretty spectacular other than the fact that my voice has been sore all week. My kids were very nice to me, but the 4th and 5th graders killed me. I found out that next week my schedule will be changing yet again, but I will be done teaching 5th grade and will instead get to teach my 1st graders some social studies lessons. (3 go to Albanian class and I will have the rest.) I plan on covering manners, nutrition, and then hopefully I can teach some culture/history/geography lessons. I'm actually really excited about this time because I've been given the go ahead to do whatever I want. It'll be a bit stressful, but also very beneficial to my planning. 

In other news: I found cheddar cheese! The German store here is awesome! The cheese cost $12 for a regular sized block, but the Wisconsin in me is willing to pay that much. The german store also has some delicious beer (very expensive) several asian sauces, lots of wild rices, and coconut milk. I will probably be going there very soon. Don't worry I'll try to be thrifty. No promises.
The real initial reaction was even crazier than this one.
I've made several new friends since the last blog post. Thank god for couchsurfing. I met my new german friend Malwine (pronounced malvina) last friday. She responded to my post about wanting to go to the film festival, and it was instant friendship. She is volunteering at a public school helping with classes that are in German, and (hopefully) starting an art program. She is also working on her portfolio so that she can apply to school. Since we (me, Scott, Cortney, and Bobby) have met her we have spent a lot of time with her. This weekend we are having a baking party. She has never had pie so I will be making pie, and she will be making german cake or some other tasty treat. Very excited. Scott also met a cool dude (Joe) from England who is working at a hostel and is a masseuse. I will be getting massages very soon. We have also made a few Albanian friends via couch-surfing rendezvous. 

This weekend is Octoberfest so we are going to head to a rock concert and then hopefully out dancing tomorrow night. In other news we are planning some trips for the near future. Work is going to Kosovo next weekend. I still haven't decided if I'm going. We are also planning a trip to Lake Ohrid for the 3rd weekend in October (we have friday off) and a trip to southern Albania (Saranda) for our 4 day weekend. Super duper excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment