"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Things I took for granted

Some might be silly, but also very true. I'll preface this by saying that I know there are things I'm taking for granted in Albania. I'm going to try my best not to do that.

10. Cheddar Cheese/Cooking- Seriously. $12 for a block! I don't know how to cook anything here, and I'm not sure why. My meals are the following: Pasta with red sauces, pasta with white sauce, Risotto, and potatoes and eggs. For breakfast yogurt, granola, oatmeal, and fruit.

9. Stone Arch Bridge- I miss running. I think I'll break down soon, but there just isn't anywhere beautiful to go here. In MN I could run in my neighborhood and still see beautiful plants and houses. Here just about everything looks like garbage.

8. Beer/football- I really miss IPA's and I really miss Stout. But by far the worst days are those when I should be watching the packers with a beer in my hand. I also just realized I haven't had a Bloody Mary since my last week in MN, which involved daily trips to get my favorite from Legends.


7. Super Targets- How nice it was to go to one store (sometimes 2) to get everything I needed. Now if I need ziploc bags I go one place, for storage bins I go to another. If you want food you have to search to find gingerale at one store, greek yogurt at another. It is so complicated.....

6. Clean Air- pollution everywhere. and no escape. So many cars for such a small area, and so many people.

5. Living with others- Never thought I'd miss this but I do. I just wish I could hang out in my living room and have someone walk down the steps to watch TV with me or cook dinner at the same time as me.

4. Teaching Resources- People in America complain that their aren't enough resources. Be thankful for your tag board and laminators. I spent 4 hours making 6 copies of one game yesterday. First you print (If there is paper and toner) then you glue two pages together so the kids can't see through, then you cut, then you tape, and then you cut again. Finally, 6 copies of a memory game that has only 20 cards.

3. Live Music- I've had 2 music experiences here and neither have been bad, but I think the cheap beer is what salvaged them. I miss having choices of where to go for GOOD free music every night of the week.

2. Having Family so close by- This is one of the biggest. Never thought I'd ever say this, but I really miss home. Both Minneapolis and Marshfield. Mostly just because it was so nice to know that if I ever really needed someone, out of the many people nearby, at least one would be able to come. I could call anytime I wanted. If something happens here I just have to deal with it. Granted I'm one lucky girl who was blessed with a ton of incredible, close to family, friends. But there is something to be said for knowing someone your whole life versus knowing them for less than 2 months. Last weekend when I was homesick Cortney gave me a hug and it was really helpful, but part of me really, deeply wished it was my mom or my brother.

1. Having English as my first language- Oh wow. As I watch my kids try to learn English, and as I try to learn very minimal Albanian I realize how privileged and lucky I am to have grown up in an English speaking country. English is quite the universal language. I know that not everyone speaks it, but even in a country like Albania (a bit behind) the majority of people know enough to communicate with me. I just started teaching a second job. The job is focused on teaching teachers the pronunciation of English words. They are so complicated. I even catch myself saying them wrong. They are all perfectly able to communicate, but they want to know bigger vocabulary words such as notoriously, and solely. I think i'll have to write a whole blog post about it after I teach a bit more.There is so much more I want to say about this issue, but I think I'll let my good friend and co-worker Cortney tell you a bit more about it, since she did such a fantastic job. Here is the link to her blog post:
http://whereexactlyisalbania.blogspot.com/2012/10/language-barriers.html#

1 comment:

  1. It will be so much better when you can move! Considering everything you have had to deal with on top of living on your own for the first time you are dealing with everything really well.

    Hell yes, Macedonia. We need a vacation!

    ReplyDelete