"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Friday, October 5, 2012

Homesick


I want to go home. Everything is finally really catching up with me. This isn’t a vacation, this is life. I hate my apartment and up until this point I thought it was temporary. I thought I’d be able to move out in 2 months. Now I see that somehow I am roped into staying for the whole year, if I want my work and residency permit. And I’m dying. I don’t sleep well in my purple, ultra loud, room. And I can’t stand listening to anymore terrible music. I hate that my toilet doesn’t flush and my washer leaks. Every time I do laundry I have to mop the whole house. And all I really want is hug from someone who is in my family, who I know loves me. I just need someone (other than myself) to tell me everything will be alright.

I just want to sleep at night. I want to be able to run to relieve my stress. And to be able to go and buy cheddar cheese at a reasonable price. And I want to go dance at Roe Family Singers on Monday night and head to the Republic for $3 happy hour beers with my best friends.

I just keep reminding myself that I didn’t like Minneapolis at first, and when I left there I loved it. I keep trying to convince myself that there will come a point where I will love it here too. So when people ask me if I have decided if I’m going to stay 2 years or not I say I haven’t. But really I have. I will stay two years because that was the plan, and I’m not a woman who changes her plans easily. I know I need to stay for 2 years, for my own professional and self-development. Let’s just hope that in the 2nd year I can get more than 4 hours of sleep a night and I’m not ill the whole time. 

1 comment: