"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Sunday, March 3, 2013

oh my sweet disposition....

Oh my sweet disposition…

A few weeks ago I was really confused. One second I was in love with the idea of leaving here and the next I was in love with the idea of staying. Little things would sway my mind completely from one direction to the other.

I just remember when I first met Scott and I told him I was going to stay in Albania for two years. He told me about his life in China and how he just wanted to go home until suddenly he knew he wanted to stay.

That is what life was like 2 weeks ago for me. I realized how hard moving here was, and how used to my life I’ve already become. Sure there are things I dislike, but there are also things I love. Quite honestly, I think this proves that I’m going to fall in love with anywhere I go. There will always be new experiences, new people to meet, new places to travel to, and new life lessons. At 23, I’m still searching for who I am. And while I’ve discovered a little bit about who I am (bluegrass dancing, Packer watching, beer drinking, American girl) I have a lot of me to discover.

I have a lot to discover, especially as far as teaching goes. I could stay in Albania and learn a lot as a second year teacher. I could help this school transform a bit. Or, I could go somewhere else and try my hand a new experience and a new culture of learning.

For my 23rd birthday my mother sent me a package from home filled with pictures of those I love the most, 3 chunks of Wisconsin cheese, and a beautiful necklace with the letter T in it. When I skyped with her after receiving it she informed me she almost got me a Green Bay Packer necklace, but decided this was a lot nicer quality, and that she thought of me as soon as she saw it because T stands for teacher. I almost started crying.

During my year of student teaching I remember doubting if I could be a teacher. I kept thinking to myself that it was too hard of a job for me. I reminded myself that I wasn’t allowed to do anything halfheartedly. So if I wanted to be a teacher it would have to be who I would become. I think I’m starting to realized what being a teacher means, and I’m happy to say I will continue to figure it out  next year, wherever I may be. Who knows where I will be, but I’ve decided it won’t be Albania, and it won’t be America. 

…may you one day carry me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment