"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring Break Day 8: Morning tour and afternoon shisha

We had to wake up fairly early to get some breakfast in before our 9:00 tour. The man who runs “Sarajevo Funky Tours” was kind, and picked us up right at our hostel. The tour began with a basic story of the Balkans war, and him pointing our various monuments and points of interest as we drove out to the famous tunnel.

Once there we got out there we were able to explore. We even got to walk through the tunnel. Families would walk 800 meters into the mountain to get food and artillery, and then walk back. We were able to walk through about 25 meters of the tunnel, and this was painful enough and all I had with me was a small purse. Skander (our tour guide) told us that without this tunnel they would not have survived the war. He explained that as a kid food was very limited and his family would find dandelions to eat for food if they were hungry enough. It is kind of crazy that I knew this war happened before, but I couldn’t remember any of it. After this trip I feel as though I’m never going to forget it, due to all the places I’ve visited, but more importantly because of all the stories I’ve heard about it.
Sarajevo Tunnel
After the tunnel we visited a tank hotel. Here we could see all the tank marks on the ground, and I was able to pick up a piece of shrapnel from the war, which was pretty cool. This was followed by the toboggan sled track from the Sarajevo 1984 Olympics. We got to walk inside, and look at the wall, which was completely full of graffiti. Our final stop for the tour was in the second largest Jewish graveyard in the world. You could see the bullet holes and pieces of the gravestone missing, due to damage from the war.

view from the tank hotel

Then we went out for lunch and had some byrek, and some more cevapi. After an hour of attempting to get some internet we decided to give up and go out for some hookah. We sat and talked about the technological age, and how different our lives would be if we had grown up any later than we had. This was followed by some shopping, and a stop for some Bosnian coffe, so we could prepare for our night out.

Inside the toboggan sled track

We mixed up some cocktails to taste, and after tasting several we realized that we didn’t need to drink anymore before we headed out for the night. I had looked up several restaurants with different food and wanted to try out some sushi, just because I know I can’t get it in Tirana. We found the place with little trouble and were surprised to find it was so tiny, and also empty. When I had looked it up online, the reviews said there was often a long wait. Score for it being the off season! The sushi was brought to us in courses and we shared everything to make it the perfect portion. Then we headed to Cheers bar to meet up with some other friends.

I loved this bar! Mostly because they had beer on tap, and had the best live music I’ve heard in the Balkans. It was still awful covers of popular songs, but it’ll hold me over until I can get some real live music at home. We drank, and smoked more than anyone ever needs to, and then we head out to find the gay club. This was where we ran into a few issues, mostly because apparently it is underground. We asked around and eventually found out that it was not open on Thursday, so we went to the club our tour guide had recommended. As soon as I walked in I knew it was not worth it. Everyone was standing around tables swaying back and forth. It was not my style, so we headed home to create our own club at our hostel. First we stopped for some pizza, and then we stopped for some beer. The night was spent dancing at our hostel. Eventually we grew tired enough to just go to bed. Apparently I was talking in my sleep, but I don’t remember this at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment