"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Spring Break Day 2: Skader Lake National Park

We woke up super early to head into town and grab some breakfast before heading to a national park. Originally the plan was a baked good, coffee, and gone, But we ended up discovering a delicious restaurant called Venus. After looking at the menu I could not decide what I wanted. Luckily Arielle was willing to split the fried pancakes and the sweet pancake with me. It was just enough of both to fill me up and satisfy me. The fried pancake was deep fried and filled with cheese and ham, and covered with a yogurt sauce and some of the best pickles I’ve ever had. The sweet pancake was stuffed with a banana, chocolate and cream. Yummy! I also had a double macchiato to cure any form of a headache I had.


After breakfast I was ready for a beer, so we ran quickly to the supermarket to grab one before hopping back into the van and on the road to Shkadar Lake National Park. To say it was a rough drive would not do it justice. It was the worst of all the drives we have been on yet. There was a few points where I actually almost threw up. I just tried to close my eyes and pretend like it was a bad dream. The road had several random holes, looking a good half mile down to the ground, and also had plenty of rock slides for us to drive around. 
Skadar Lake National Park
No need to worry. Eventually we made it, and did a short hike up to a castle. The views were beautiful, and I quickly began to enjoy the mountain fresh air for my runny and stuffy nose. We arrived just in time to hop onto a boat tour filled with older German men and women. I spent the majority of the hour on the boat just trying to stay in the sun so that I could stay warm. We did get to see the “Alcatraz” of Montenegro while we were on it and I like to make believe that I saw otters. After the hour of cold and a little bit of complaining about when we’d be back, we were all ready for some more food, so we found a restaurant and grabbed some chicken, fries, and eel, along with a bottle of wine. We fed a few cats some of the bones from the eel, and before we knew it we had a whole group of cats by us waiting for more.
The jail in the middle of the lake

We were hoping to get in a short hike in the National park, but realized that sadly we would not have time if we wanted to get to our destination before night fall. Mostly we wanted to be sure we could see the coastline as we drove, and boy could we! It was beautiful. We stopped to get some pictures overlooking so incredible rocks in the middle of the sea. 
Our road trip stop.

Eventually, we arrived in Kotor only to realize that we had no idea how to find our apartment (Google maps sucks here since there aren’t really street signs to guide us.) Adam was nice enough to get out of the car and ask for directions at a market. The lady at the market called and the owner of the Apartment came and picked us up. The apartment was larger, with three bedrooms, a bathroom, a living room, and kitchen. After a quick hour of settling in, we were in desperate need of a walk and some food. We set out with the goal of finding a place nearby. In the end we ended up walking about 8km to find a restaurant. After a dinner of pasta and more chicken we stopped at the supermarket to get some items for breakfast the next morning, including real bacon, eggs, and bread with Nutella.
The Bay during the sunset 
Arielle and myself were craving ice cream and thankfully found some. Unfortunately it was very hard ice cream and it was still quite cold outside. I ended up only finishing 2/3rd of mine before I realized that I felt like complete crap(in terms of fullness.)

Once we ended up back home I went almost directly to bed because I was so exhausted from all the walking. 

2 comments:

  1. Pretty dress! Sorry it's too cold to enjoy
    i-c-e-e cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember what our hostel was called?

    ReplyDelete